IT TAKES A VILLAGE
Black Parent Mentorship Program
Everyone needs a mentor.
Parents of Black children must learn to advocate for their kids and navigate the education system in a way that is different from white or non-Black caregivers. When fighting for their children, parents often have doubts, second guess their abilities, or feel like they are at a loss for where to start.
We know it takes a village to raise a child. You don’t have to do it alone.
Our Black Parent Mentorship Program is designed to recreate that village by connecting Black parents with others who have had similar experiences and can understand the unique experiences of parenting Black children. The program provides space for parents to connect with each other, support and guide each other as they walk the complex path of parenting and supporting their child’s education.
Join the Program
Get the support you deserve and connect with others.
- Participants should identify as a parent/guardian of a Black child
- Have children currently in the education system in Ontario
- Be willing to share their story and experiences with someone in order to receive guidance/support.
- This program will be run virtually for the foreseeable future.
Become a Parent Mentor
Join the program as a Parent Mentor to support other parents.
- Mentors should identify as Black and have children currently in the education system/who have graduated
- Be willing to commit at least 3 hours a week to supporting parent mentees.
- Be knowledgeable about how anti-Black racism and anti-oppression operates in the education system